Change of Status

For students who are currently enrolled in a
U of M graduate program

In all cases, contact the major program to which you are applying for information about program content, deadlines, and whether additional materials (such as GRE scores or letters of recommendation) are needed.

 Complete the new application if you want to:

  • add a new program, change to a different program, add or change a track, or change to a higher degree level.

Complete the Express COS Application if you want to:

  • Drop from a Ph.D. and pursue a Master's only
    (in the same program your Ph.D. was in)
  • Add your first track to the major in which you are enrolled
    (if you are not already in a track)
  • drop a track
    (without adding another track)

Submit the completed Express COS application to gsquest@umn.eduNo fee is required.  You will need to include your graduate program code on the application. 

If you have questions, please contact  Graduate Admissions at 612-625-3014, or


Helpful Links


Registration Information
Note: if you are currently registered
Grad 999
or if you registered this semester but canceled your courses, you are still considered a current student.

Check your registration/enrollment status

Apply for Readmission